Early intervention is the key to student success. The Student Care Network allows you to share concerns about a student’s emotional or psychological well-being, physical health, or academic performance with colleagues on your campus who can help. When you submit your referral through our online form, an email will be generated, contacting the relevant offices on your campus.

What happens next?

After your submission is reviewed by members of the Student Care Team, a representative from your campus team will contact you to gather additional information, consult about the situation, and determine the next steps. The goal of this conversation is to determine the best way to help connect the student with resources that can support their success without causing additional stress for the student.

Can a concern be submitted anonymously? 

Concerns can be submitted anonymously. However, in most cases, the Student Care Network will not inform the student that a concern was submitted unless it is mutually decided upon as part of the follow-up plan. The following situations may result in the student informed of a submission:

  • If the submission includes information regarding sexual assault, sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, or discrimination, the student may receive an informational outreach from Compliance and Civil Rights.
  • If the submission includes information regarding an alleged violation of the Student Standards of Conduct, the Center for Community Standards may reach out seeking additional information
  • If the Student Care Team is unable to establish a method for helping the student connect with resources discreetly, an outreach email may be sent to the student offering to connect with them. The email will not share any information regarding the Student Care report or the name of the person who shared the concern. The student is not obligated to meet with the Student Care Team following the outreach.


  • What happens after I ask for help?

    The Student Care Team reads every request and takes each one seriously. If we have a way of identifying the student (e.g., a full name, student ID number, or other identifying information), we will respond to all requests.  

  • Who will answer the request?

    A care case manager in the Office of the Dean of Students will answer your request. 

  • What kind of response can I expect?

    You can expect to receive an email and/or phone call in response to your request for help. 

  • How quickly will you respond?

    • Our team aims to respond to requests within two business days.   

    • The Office of the Dean of Students is not equipped to respond to life-threatening emergencies or provide mental health treatment or crisis care.  

  • If I tell you private information, will it end up in my academic record? Will my parents or professors know?

    • As case management professionals, we keep electronic files of the information we receive and send to students about their care. This information is part of the student’s academic record and is protected under federal privacy laws (FERPA).  

    • The Office of the Dean of Students holds student information that is not accessible to instructors and will not appear on student transcripts.  

    • Student information held by the Office of the Dean of Students is never shared with the student’s family unless the student provides active and ongoing consent. Our policy is, “Nothing about the student without the student.”  

  • How can I reach a mental healthcare professional for help?

    • Call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room in a life-threatening emergency. 

    • In case of mental distress, dial or text 988 for the Suicide and Crisis Lifeline. 

    • Contact Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) at 509-335-4511 for individual therapy and other services. 

  • How long does case management last?

    Your care case manager is available for consultation throughout the semester or academic year. Together, you will work on a plan of action to address your concerns and schedule follow-ups or check-ins as needed. 

  • I’m worried about a student’s mental state or physical safety. Can you send someone to check on them?

    • The Office of the Dean of students is not equipped or qualified to respond to life-threatening emergencies, provide mental health treatment, or respond to mental health crises.  

    • If you are concerned about a WSU Pullman student, you may call Whitcom dispatch (509-332-2521) to request a welfare check from a police officer. Depending on the student’s location, the officer may come from the WSU Police Department, Pullman Police Department, or another law enforcement agency in the area.  

    • If you are concerned about a student on another WSU campus, please contact 911 to request a welfare check from the local police department.  

    • You may submit a care report for the student if you would like a care case manager to contact the student during business hours about supportive resources. 

  • I submitted a care report for a student. Can you tell me if they’re responding to your outreach or send me an update about their situation?

    • Our care case managers will respond to your care report to acknowledge your referral. Due to federal privacy laws (FERPA), we cannot share any information about the student unless the student is physically present and providing active and ongoing consent.  

    • Regardless of any FERPA waivers or releases of information that a student may have signed for other offices on campus, our policy is, “Nothing about the student without the student.”